Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Self-Management

One of the pleasures of being an independent artist is the ability to work at my own pace and hours. One of the disadvantages of being an independent artist is the ability to stay home when the weather's too bad to get to the studio, and wondering when I can get in to get some work done. No one else is looking over my shoulder, pressuring me to get things done. It would be easier if that were the case as someone else would not be as hard on me as I am on myself.

It's been snowing heavily today, the roads are barely passable and it is a question now of balancing the need to work with the need to get there safely. Unlike people who work regular hours and receive regular pay, if I don't go, nothing gets done and that makes me a harder boss to please than most others. So, do I take the day off and wait for the weather to clear or do I go and melt glass?

Answers on a postcard, please.

No comments: